Bundjel Eco Retreat is to be designed to the highest standards for ecological sustainable development. It will achieve a five star energy rating and a four star accommodation rating. The development aims to be a benchmark for sustainable development.
The primary principals will be :
- Siting of units to avoid removal of large native trees.
- Orientation of units to maximise northern sunlight
- Design of units to maximise passive solar principals and achieve a 5 star energy rating.
- Use construction methods that suits the terrain and limits excavation to a minimum.
- Utilize energy systems that minimises the production of green house gasses and follows renewable energy principals.
- Install waste disposal Systems that minimises water use and waster disposal impact.
- Use materials that are from sustainable sources and or are recycled.
- Maximise natural lighting, natural heating, minimal heat loss and minimal heat gain in winter.
- Re-vegetation of the site with indigenous plants
- Finishes to be of low toxicity and sympathetic to the natural environment.
- Identify the cultural significance of the aboriginal inhabitants.
- Provide an educational experience of the aboriginal bush tucker.
- Provide an educational experience for all visitors of aboriginal way of life.